Coca-Cola’s “green” strategy working for its business [News]
By Rachel Kelly, Channel NewsAsia, 24 Nov 2011.
While governments worldwide are moving to combat global warming, businesses like Coca-Cola Singapore are also pushing towards being green.
Coca-Cola Singapore has pledged to live positively by implementing sustainable initiatives across its business – a move which has helped the company cut costs among other things.
While the company did not disclose how much savings it receives from such initiatives, it added that the strategy is good for business.
Antonio Del Rosario, general manager of Coca-Cola Singapore, said: “For example, (at) our manufacturing plant we continue to light weight our cans so that we use less raw material.
“From a marketplace standpoint… we roll out coolers into the market and every cooler that we send out has an energy management system that actually uses 35 per cent less energy, and all our bottles and cans are 100 per cent recyclable.
“We (also) have community programs to make sure that recycling is done more and more in Singapore,” he added.
Not only has Coca-Cola cut down on packaging materials, it has also increased water efficiency in its Singapore bottling plant by 13 per cent since 2004, and it’s looking to bring that number up to 20 per cent by 2012.
Coca-Cola is just one of many manufacturers unbottling its sustainability secrets to appeal to a growing trend of consumers seeking more sustainable alternatives.
Mr Del Rosario said: “What we have realised is that employees want to work for a company that shares their values. Our customers want to work with companies that also have a sustainability agenda, and consumers are also more inclined to buy a product from the company that’s behind it – so we actually see that it’s very important and good for business.”
Coca-Cola Singapore said it has reduced the amount of energy used in its manufacturing processes by 41 per cent, and aims to decrease it by a further 9 per cent by 2015, to achieve a total of 50 per cent reduction in its energy.
Source: Channel NewsAsia