What are the sustainability megaforces that will impact every business over the next 20 years? Is your company ready to address the risks and opportunities arising from these megaforces? This article highlights the 10 global sustainability megaforces listed in KPMG’s recent report, and shares how businesses can take action and turn risks into opportunities in our uncertain future.
In Feb 2012, KPMG published a report titled, Expect the Unexpected: Building business value in a changing world. The report explains that over the next 20 years, businesses will be exposed to several environmental and social changes that could bring both risks and opportunities. Despite the challenges, businesses can actually thrive by turning the risks into opportunities, with proper foresight and planning.
The report highlights 10 global sustainability megaforces that will impact every business over the next 20 years:
- Climate Change
- Energy and Fuel
- Material Resource Scarcity
- Water Scarcity
- Population Growth
- Food Security
- Ecosystem Decline
- Deforestation Read more
Minister of State Lee Yi Shyan acknowledges efforts by the food industry in ensuring high food safety standards in Singapore at AVA Food Safety Awards Night 2012 [Press Releases]
Mr Koh Soo Keong
Chairman, Agri-Food & Veterinary Authority
Ms Tan Poh Hong
Ladies and gentlemen,
1 Good evening. I am delighted to join you tonight to celebrate the achievements of our local food industry in food safety excellence.
2 Let me first acknowledge the efforts by every company in the food industry in ensuring that we continue to uphold our high food safety standards. We can only achieve this through consistent investments in our people and processes, with discipline and attention to details.
3 AVA will continue to assist the industry, especially the small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), in acquiring new capabilities on food safety. AVA also partners SPRING Singapore, e2i, and the Singapore Accreditation Council to assist food manufacturers to improve their food safety standards. Read more
Speech by Dr Mohamad Maliki bin Osman, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for National Development and Defence at the International Conference on Asian Food Security [Speeches]
Speech by Dr Mohamad Maliki bin Osman, Senior Parliamentary Secretary for National Development and Defence at the opening ceremony of the International Conference on Asian Food Security (ICAFS 2011) on 10 August 2011 at the Grand Copthorne Waterfront Hotel
Ambassador Barry Desker
S Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS)
Dr Gil Saguiguit
Southeast Asian Regional Centre for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA)
Ladies and gentlemen,
1. I am honoured to join you this morning for the opening of the International Conference on Asian Food Security jointly organised by the S Rajaratnam School of International Studies (or RSIS) Centre for Non-Traditional Security Studies, and the Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture, or SEARCA in short.
2. The overall theme of the conference “Feeding Asia in the 21st Century: Building Urban-Rural Alliances” is most apt, as it reflects the need for us to widen our perspective and find holistic solutions to solve our food security issues. Read more
Venue: The Auditorium, National University of Singapore University Hall, Lee Kong Chian Wing, Level 2, 21 Lower Kent Ridge Road, Singapore 119077
This forum is organised by the Energy Studies Institute and the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, and will explore the pros and cons of the use of biofuels as an alternative fuel, against the backdrop of soaring oil and food prices in past months. The forum panelists include:
- Ambassador Paulo Alberto de Silveira Soares, Embassy of Brazil in Singapore
- Dr Hong Yan, Director of Plant Biotechnology, Temasek Life Sciences Laboratory (NUS)
- A/Prof Wang Jing-Yuan, Director, Environmental Engineering Research Centre (NTU)
- Prof Claudia Ann Kinsey, Clinical Nutritionist, Centre for Natural Medical Science Singapore
- Dr Geh Min, Immediate Past President, Nature Society (Singapore)
Check out details and registration here.